Simon,

It’s down to the fact that Tom PGP signs his emails, and the iOS mail client
doesn’t know how to decode it.
Even though the message is plaintext with an appended PGP signature, it
confuses iOS Mail.
Actual message look a bit like this (hopefully this will get to you unmangled)

HTH
Dariush

Dariush Marsh-Mossadeghi
E: dari...@gravitas.co.uk