Ben, Steve,

My (personal) understanding is that while the recurring port fees for a Direct
Connect port, which AWS charge as $/hour, are the consistent regardless of where
within the availability zone you connect... but the charges per GB to transfer
data out of AWS over this interconnection may vary depending on which location
you connect into their network at.

So, even excluding these pesky Datacentre operators cross connect pricing, there
may be a non-trivial cost difference between the options to either connect to
AWS 'directly' in the same metro as that the compute infrastructure which powers
that particular availability zone is located versus a.n.other metro that happens
to be more convenient to you as an operator.

Thus as Steve suggest for some networks there may indeed be some cases where
there is "no added value in buying the link LON-DUB to AWS" if you do not expect
to transfer any data out of AWS; however if this is not the case then its
probably worth running the numbers to confirm if sourcing your own backhaul to
Dublin, or whichever AWS node is relevant to you, is going to result in a lower
or higher total cost than letting Amazon provide the backhaul for you in return
for an increased outbound data transfer cost ;)

And while this may or may not be reflected in the numbers you produce, if I had
to make a guess at who would be in a position to negotiate the most favourable
rates with the limited number of entities who actually own the underlying
infrastructure which can be used to provide Dublin to London capacity at scale
then I no offence but I wouldnt be putting my money on either of you :p

(As even this mail does not represent the opinions of anyone else but myself,
IANAL and YMMV)

Regards,

Paul

On 14/06/16 22:05, Stephen Wilcox wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So, unless I'm mistaken, its the same price to terminate AWS Direct Connect in
> London as it is in Dublin, so this may be a tricky one to sell as is as
> there's
> no added value in buying the link LON-DUB to AWS..... But the AWS port
> shouldn't
> be contracted, I think they should be able to move it off AWS....
>
> Steve
>

> On Jun 14, 2016 4:28 AM, "Ben Jefferson" <b...@whattogive.com
> <mailto:b...@whattogive.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     A client of mine has, for various complicated reasons, ended up with a
>     10Gb fiber provided by euNetworks from London to Amazon's Dublin data
>     centre (terminating in Eircom Clonshaugh) for use with Amazon Direct
>     Connect which may soon be surplus to requirements. They've asked me,
>     on the off chance, if I can find someone to rent it off them. Does
>     anyone know anyone who might be interested in taking it off their
>     hands?
>
>     The line currently terminates at their office but they have the
>     agreement of the hosting provider to move it to any other convenient
>     location so it should be possible to get it moved to one of the London
>     peering points. As well as reaching agreement about paying towards the
>     line rental you'll also have to pay the Amazon Direct connect port
>     cost (about £1000 a month - see
>     https://aws.amazon.com/directconnect/pricing/) but you'll get a direct
>     10Gb connection into your Amazon VPC and no in/outbound bandwidth
>     charges (for data on this pipe - you still have to pay for data
>     leaving AWS going to the rest of the world). Buying it second hand
>     will cost a lot less and be a lot more flexible than if you were to
>     buy it "new".
>
>     Any takers?
>
>     Ben
>

> --