Hi lain,

Yeah...  Mikrotik Routers / Appliances run Router OS  (a linux Kernel with
a GUI / CLI wrapped around it ) ... they are quite cheap for their
throughput capability and feature sets....  and you can select a model that
suits your thorughput requirements based on the CPU capabilities...  as you
say Software works well but it is dependent on the hardware it runs on
being up to the task ...

Cheers,

Tom Smyth

--