On 06/07/2016 22:20, Iain Grant wrote:
Modifying the window size is not new, shorewall can do it - anything that can use the ifb driver in linux can!

Can you point me to some documentation to back up that assertion?

As I understand it, etinc and packeteer work by modulating the TCP receive window size. I can't find anything about ifb that says it can work that way.

It says it does "policing" (i.e. dropping packets out of profile) and "shaping" (i.e. delaying packets in a queue). You can have "active queue management" using the FQ_CODEL algorithm, which stops your queues getting too full so that latency is reasonable, but as far as I can see it still basically just drops packets, or marks them with ECN flags, as a way of signalling the TCP sender to slow down.