On 1 December 2016 at 21:09, Leo Vegoda <leo.veg...@icann.org> wrote:
> Paul Mansfield wrote:
>> On 30 November 2016 at 16:48, Pete Stevens <p...@ex-parrot.com> wrote:
>> > (i) That's going to be a lot of data. Invest in disks.
>>
>> some years ago on another mailing list we speculated how many disks
>> you'd need, and I hacked up a spreadsheet.
>
> It's not clear to me if you attempted to factor in any duplication for RAID.

nope, it was all rough back of the envelope stuff really, just to try
and get a handle on the volumes of data and thus the physical demands
of gathering it and storing it. You'd really need a robotic
disk/cartridge loader.

> Also, isn't 100GB/month per household fairly low if media streaming is as
> popular as is often suggested?

I think as an average it still isn't a *bad* figure - the numbers were
from a few years ago. I know my family of four routinely hit 250GB a
month, but we do watch a lot of netflix.

/me checks and goes boggled eyed at seeing we hit 500GB in November...
ponders who's been using all the bandwidth!