From: uknof [mailto:uknof-boun...@lists.uknof.org.uk] On Behalf Of James Bensley
Sent: 01 June 2017 14:42
To: Simon Green <simon.gr...@wirehive.com>
Cc: uknof@lists.uknof.org.uk
Subject: Re: [uknof] Example of total DC loss

On 1 June 2017 at 11:50, Simon Green <simon.gr...@wirehive.com> wrote:
> Morning List :)
>

> I’m hunting for an examples of long duration data centre outages in
> the UK, from a day of downtime to total data centre loss (explosion or
> some other industrial accident).
>

> Is anyone aware of any tails they could share? Bigger and higher
> impact the better.
>

> Slightly more casually interested in BT exchanges as well.
>

> I’m aware of:
>
> ·         Several corporate incidents, including Three, Capita, and Vodafone
>
> ·         The Telecity power issues from a few years back, though they were
> less than a day

Not a DC outage but the Kings College outage was pretty serious, if you have a
SPoF be it a single RAID array or single DC, its a SPoF;

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/25/and_so_we_enter_day_seven_of_kings_college_london_major_it_outage/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/11/15/after_kcl_kills_uniwide_backups_staff_get_order_to_never_make_their_own/

Cheers,
James.