I'm hunting for an examples of long duration data centre outages in the UK, from a day of downtime to total data centre loss (explosion or some other industrial accident).

Cable and Wireless Watford

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2282427/Metal-thieves-to-blame-for-Sainsburys-website-blackout.html

IIRC they had several instances of this happening to that particular site.

Also, Manchester Guardian Tunnels (BT) fire

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/mar/30/simonjeffery

Also, not a datacentre outage, but a critical infrastructure failure when the Colossus backbone imploded.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/11/20/uk_hit_by_major_adsl/

Quite a few (Including IIRC a CapGemini site on behalf of the NHS) on Brakspear Way in Hemel were rendered inoperable/inaccessible after the Buncefield disaster.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/12/oil_blast_northgate/

There was also the Telehouse incident in 1998 (I think - may have been '97) when somebody hit the Master Off switch in one of the suites rather than the Open Door one, and then lots of ISP's kit responded badly to the power surge when the breaker was reset. Brief total outage (IIRC it took out a large chunk of LINX infrastructure briefly) and substantial impact for weeks afterwards as fragile PSUs in installed kit either failed on restart, or suffered premature death - I know of one Ascend MAX that never came back to life.

Paul