On Mon Sep 02, 2019 at 05:48:55PM +0100, Marek Isalski wrote:
> > On 2 Sep 2019, at 17:37, Nicholas Humfrey <nicholas.humf...@bbc.co.uk>
> > wrote:
> > Is there any chance of multicast making a resurgence? If everyone has
> > gigabit internet to their homes, will the network cores be able to cope
> > with everyone watching 35 Mbps UHD (Live) television streams simultaneously?

We (BBC but Bogons does too) still have it but it's dying out, our
transits are killing it, L3 gone NTT planning to. It was only used
to peers though

If it did come back we'd only be interested in V6 source specific
but that seems unlikely, The people we'd be delivering to like
BT/Sky would all do it privately

On Mon Sep 02, 2019 at 05:48:55PM +0100, Marek Isalski wrote:
> I mean, who actually watches live TV these days?

On demand was about 5% vs 95% live so far, it'll go more on demand
as thats the way the tech is moving.

We've been adding multicast to the dash spec so that for the
remainers it will use multicast if available so the home ISP
(or 5g carrier as there is a broadcast mode in there it can
tie into and use spectrum efficiently) can choose to embed our
CDN or set up multicast and the client will take whichever
works without user intervention.

brandon