On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 at 21:24, Ray Bellis <r...@bellis.me.uk> wrote:

> On 02/09/2019 21:18, Simon Lockhart wrote:
>
> > In my experience, the STB (or TV) writes the multicast stream to disk, in
> > much
> > the same way that my Sky box does when I press pause.
>
> Duh, yes, I should have thought of that! :D

There was a conversation a while back about some multicast playout
system which split (non-live) content in to chunks and each chunk is
multicasted in a continual loop, to a separate multicast group. You
were basically unicast'ed the initial part of the stream until you
aligned to one of the multicast chunk loops and then dropped onto the
multicast group for that chunk, and at the end of the chunk, join the
group for the next chink etc. Anyone remember the details of that or
who it was?

Cheers,
James.