On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 17:52, David Reader <da...@reader.me.uk> wrote:

> On 6 May 2020 17:14:24 Richard Halfpenny <
> richard.halfpe...@exa-networks.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> IIRC the student radio station famously racked up a rather large
>> transatlantic bandwidth bill by running a RealAudio server and one show
>> attracted a sizeable listenership from the USA!
>>

> Was that one me or did someone else do it again after?
>
> I was invited for a chat about the ra server I ran for ramair after I
> helped myself to a whole /24... (the SU's NetWare 3 server routed that
> one..)
>
> I dont recall the US audience.
>
> Bradford computer centre were not only tolerant but very supportive with
> my taking of liberties on their network :)
>
> 143.53.221.. still rolls off my fingers too easily (albeit uselessly..)
> now.
>
> These were the days of BT's SMDS network splitting itself in half
> regularly, and even 2Mbps being both HUGE and astronomically expensive.

It was after you had left, sometime late '98 if I remember correctly.  They
couldn't yank the plug on the server as it was running lots of other stuff
so the computer centre stole the audio patch cable instead!

I think they learnt their lesson after the transatlantic bill.. they were
always a little frosty and standoff-ish with my weird and wonderful ideas.
If you remember, IRC was banned on campus because it was a "bandwidth hog".

Rich.