Lots of chickens and eggs cycles to resolve. What is not clear to me is whether today people running hosts with no or incomplete IPv6  support  know IPv6 is something they should be on top of. That at least would be progress. As for many years they were being told by their ISPs / Vendors / Consultants / Experts that IPv6 is not a thing they should be  planning let alone implementing.

If largely aware. Is there a touch of complacency at hosts that they can configure up IPv6 quickly when they need to?  For instance by throwing some money via a CDN?

The local chapter has had a long running IPv6  host monitoring project ipv6matrix.org  which we've been hosting at University of Southampton that looks at the top million domains as set by Alexa. Olivier still  keeps it regularly updated.

It's got a d3 graphical charting displays but for open data junkies the data is there for direct use too.

Christian