On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 8:06 AM Matthew Walster <matt...@walster.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 at 15:04, Leo Vegoda <l...@vegoda.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 6:05 AM Tim Chown <tim.ch...@jisc.ac.uk> wrote:
>> > Personally, I’d say just get on with IPv6.
>> This gets my vote.
>
> So... This is tricky. IPv4 isn't going away for residential and most SME
> connectivity -- it's just too difficult to live without, and too entrenched
> in the psyche of the IT tech support PFY.

[continues well argued point]

Yes, but there's a distinct difference between not rushing to remove
RFC 1918 address space from most home and office networks and putting
lots of effort into trying to make some other, previously reserved,
IPv4 space reliable enough that it can be uniquely registered to
various network operators.