I am seeking information about the origins of James Ewing born about 1803 in
County Tyrone, died 1847 in Newton Hamilton, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, USA.
 He married Elizabeth Bell [1808-1842].  The marriage took place about 1824,
based on the age of their oldest child.  Other researchers have pointed to the
Townland of Leaney in Carnteel Parish as the most likely place of residence.
James, Elizabeth and their son, William R. Ewing [age 1 1/2] sailed from
Belfast to New York City on the American packet ship, Carolina Ann, arriving 7
August 1826.  The family remained in New York for several years.  Two other
children were born and Baptized in New York in the Garden St. Dutch Reformed
Church which James Ewing joined by transfer from a Presbyterian church in
Ireland.  Joseph Bell Ewing was born 15 December 1826, and Sarah Jane [aka
Jean] Ewing was born 15 April 1829.   The family were settled in Newton
Hamilton, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania by 1837 where James Ewing is found in
the list of pew renters in the Newton Hamilton Presbyterian Church.  James
Ewing bought land in Newton Hamilton, appears in the census of 1840 in that
town, and died in 1847.  His wife, Elizabeth Bell Ewing died in Newton Hamilton
in 1842.  Both of them are buried what was then the Presbyterian Church
graveyard in Newton Hamilton.  It is possible the family also spent some time
in Philadelphia before moving to Newton Hamilton.

I’m also interested in a man named William Ewing [1802-1872], married to
Marjory Hopper, who also lived in Newton Hamilton, the same small Pennsylvania
town as my ancestor, James Ewing.  James was closely associated with William
Ewing’s family, their children have the same names, and the graves of the two
men are beside each other.  Hopper researchers have been very generous
providing information about William Ewing’s wife, Marjory Hopper, and her
connections.  The Hopper family farm, and another owned by a man with the
surname Bell, is on the main road to the market town of Ballygawley in an
adjacent parish to Carnteel but still within “courting distance” of the
Townland of Leaney.

I’d like to hear from other Ewing researchers.

Thank you
Karen Miller
Wilmette, Illinois, USA