David Archer writes:
> Dan,
>
> The Dell models I've tried so far on are:
>
> Dimension XPS R400
> Dimension XPS T600r
> Dimension XPS T450
> Optiplex GX260
> Inspiron 5100 (Laptop)
>
> The three Dimensions are kind of older machines, but the Inspiron is brand
> new and the Optiplex is about 6 months old.
>
> I have successfully installed XP manually on these machines (both with and
> without the slipstreamed SP1).
>
> I have not tried a manual network install and I have not included any extra
> drivers yet. The NIC's in the Dimension machines are all Netgear FA311's
> which are included by default with XP.
>
> I am using Unattended version 2.8.
>
> DOIT.BAT
> -----
> Z:\os\winxpsp1\i386\winnt /rx:lang /s:Z:\os\winxpsp1\i386
> /u:c:\netinst\unattend.txt

I can't see anything obviously wrong in your unattend.txt file.

Please try the following:

1. Install as above, but pull the network plug after first boot (ie. do GUI
   part of install without network.)  This will show if the problem is related
   to the network.

2. Change doit.bat to:
   z:
   cd \os\winxpsp1\i386
   Z:\os\winxpsp1\i386\winnt /rx:lang /s:Z:\os\winxpsp1\i386 /u:c:\netinst\unattend.txt

   There were some reports of problems with foreign language installs, without
   the cd command, but I've never heard of any problem with English XP.

3. Change doit.bat to:
   z:
   cd \os\winxpsp1\i386
   Z:\os\winxpsp1\i386\winnt

   This will start a normal attended install from the network share.  If this
   works there's likely something strange with unattend.txt after all,
   otherwise there's something wrong with the install share.

4. Verify all files in the network share against the original CD.  The install
   errors may be due to bad or missing files, though all such errors are
   supposed to be caught and reported early in the install.

--
Dag Nummedal ([EMAIL PROTECTED])