On May 29, 2009, at 5:18 AM, roudoudou wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to setup an unattended server on Fedora 10 and netbooting
> the client but the booting process is stopped at the mount stage. The
> exact error message is:
> ----
> *** Trying to mount.cifs \\ntinstall\install /z -o
> username=guest,ro,nocase
> *** mount.cifs "succeeded", but /z/dosbin/install.pl not found
> *** Failed to mount /z. Retrying...
> ----
> what bothers me is that when i issue a Ctrl+X to get a shell, i can
> use successfully the same command to mount the share ? I thought that
> the issue was related to the backslash as when i type the same command
> on my fedora box, i get:
> ----
> mount error: improperly formatted UNC name. \ntinstallinstall does not
> begin with \\ or //

I remember gettng stuck at this point a couple of times and I think it
was always around the smb config that I was able to fix it.

I also notice that the error message seems to have the incorrect path
\ntinstallinstall. I would guess that the first slash is used as an
escape character in the setting file which is why you get the wrong
path and no mount.

That would also explain why it works manually.

Good Luck,

Ben