On Monday 20 July 2009 03:43:46 Mellmann, Sebastian wrote:
> Hello!
>

> You can choose the option "MENU PASSWD".
>
> For example:
>

> LABEL memtest
>
>         MENU LABEL memtest86
>
>         MENU PASSWD ascii
>
>         kernel boot/memtest

WARNING:
Don't depend on this for meaningful security, as this file can be retrieved
via tftp.  Using md5 or sha1 will help, but even this is subject to a
dictionary attack, as you can still retrieve the hash.  Being able to
retrieve the hash makes the salt mostly useless.

Also, keep in mind that even using hashed passwords is just a "keep the honest
people honest" method.  Since the kernel and initrd are available via tftp,
the whole password process can be bypassed.  This is easily done if the
machine is able to be booted from removable media.

I would only use such passwords to keep accidents from happening, such as
people destroying their data by installing a new system by mistake.

--
Thanks:
Joseph Rawson