Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some assistance with a problem I've been
having mapping the install share. I'm attempting to do a diskless network
boot with a pre-existing PXE server on a linux box. I edited the
pxelinux.cfg/default file to include
"LABEL winxp
  KERNEL unat
  APPEND initrd=unatin.img z_user=guest z_password=guest
z_path=//carson/install"
 I also read about the ntinstall call (though I believe that's only for
using the boot disks) so I edited the smb.conf file to include the line
"netbios aliases = ntinstall". My install share (also in the smb.conf
file) is named [install] with a path matching the path in the pxe default
file...When I try to boot it up (I've tried using vmware, VirtualBox OSE,
and "real" computer booting...consequently does it matter if I'm using a
virtual machine?) it goes through everything just fine until it gets to
the install share, then it gives me this error:
"Trying mount.cifs \\carson\install /z -o username=guest,ro,nocase
mount error: could not find target server. TCP name carson/install not
found. No ip address specified and hostname not found.
*** mount.cifs failed
*** Failed to mount /z. Retrying..."
Then it asks if I want to override the defaults again. I've tried
switching my slashes around, using an authorized username and password
(instead of guest) to no avail.

I do need to point out one thing that may be an issue, so I'd like your
feedback on it. My install folder is on another harddrive on the server
(in the /disk2/ folder), but I read somewhere (I'll see if I can find the
link to the site if necessary) that shares cannot be mounted outside of
the root directory...so I set up a /install/ folder (which is where all my
path variables point to) which contains symlinks to all the folders in the
/disk2/install directory...would this make a difference?

Using the console, I am able to ping the server by typing "carson", but I
am unable to use the mount command to mount the shared folder...but then
again I may just be phrasing my "mount" command incorrectly.

I am not aware of a DHCP server on our system, and I was instructed that a
netbios aliases in the smb.conf file would suffice. Hopefully you all can
help me out here, because I'm at a loss and the boss would like to see
some results. Thank you for all your help in advance, if you need any more
information please let me know and I'll be happy to send it out.

Scott