Ugh!  It just dawned on me where I saw it.

It was from running the `unbound-control list_local_data` command, and I got a
response like this:

  deb12dell.localdomain.        60      IN      A       192.168.65.180
  180.65.168.192.in-addr.arpa.  60      IN      PTR     deb12dell.localdomain.

And so I copied it!

Jon

> On Jan 10, 2024, at 11:18 AM, Jon Murphy <jcmurph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Interesting - I will give it a try.  I don’t know why I included the `IN`.  I
> think I found an example and copied it!
>
> I found I could remove the TTL and that led to my question concerning the
> default TTL or 3600.
>
> Thank you for the response!
>
> Jon
>

>> On Jan 10, 2024, at 7:37 AM, RayG <rgs...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think you have the format wrong:
>>
>> unbound-control.exe" local_data deb12dell.localdomain 60 A 192.168.60.175
>>
>> unbound-control.exe" local_data 192.168.60.175.in-addr.arpa. 60 PTR
>> deb12dell.localdomain
>>
>> Works for me.

>>> server.example.com. A 10.0.1.111
>>> 111.1.0.10.in-addr.arpa. PTR server.example.com.
>>> 112.1.0.10.in-addr.arpa. PTR server.example.com.
>>
>> For me, there is only a LAN or local network.  And only A records and PTR
>> records.
>>

>>> In case you wanted to encode some reliable identity information in the name
>>> (there be dragons! a file share would be a bad application of this, at
>>> least without some other authentication / access controls) let's say a file
>>> share that is only accessible to the "downtown" office you could have a
>>> whole bunch of PTR records resolving to downtown.office.localdomain, the A
>>> records don't have to agree with the PTR records for that purpose:
>>>
>>> joe.downtown.example.com. A 10.0.0.22
>>> jean.downtown.example.com. A 10.0.0.28
>>> 22.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa. PTR downtown.example.com.