Jan
Well, here we have another example of how important it is to think about
what the reader brings to the text.  I loved the Van Gogh example because  to
me,
the painting itself WAS the thinking...visual representations of his
attempts to make sense of his world. I saw it as a way to try to work through
or
around his illness. I connected it to the journal I keep or the emails I send
colleagues (Like on the mosaic listserv)  The process of writing  helps me to
understand. For Van Gogh, maybe it is the process of painting that  helped
him to make sense.

I loved the Kevin example too, but it left me with a lot more questions.  How
did he really make that much meaning as a kindergartener from this very
difficult text? Was it the process of creating his model that he made sense of
it? Was he a reader at all? What or how much did he actually read and how much
came from schema and reasoning it through? This was the one place in the
entire  book that I felt needed more detail, more investigation, more
explanation.

Do you think he was taught to investigate this way? Surely his class was  set
up for that and probably his teacher modeled...but I bet that a lot of  it
was the natural curiousity of the very young...

Your students may have giggled and rolled their eyes, but I would keep it
up. You probably made them feel  uncomfortable because they don't yet  see
themselves as scholars. I bet you, with time, they'll get there.
I am still working on this too. Let's talk about this some more during the
school year...I didn't have too much time to try much before the school year
ended...
Jennifer

n a message dated 7/17/2008 11:39:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,