Jan,  When I first heard Ellin's phrase:  I know you don't know, but if you did
know, what would you say?, my reaction was about the same as what you described
- that will never work!  Then, I watched Ellin use it with an adult at a
workshop with startling results! Later Ellin asked how it made her feel and the
teacher answered something like:  'At first I was mad at you for calling on me,
using that phrase and leaving all that wait time.  But then I discovered I did
have something to say.'  She added, 'I think if you'd have just gone on to
someone else I would have felt pretty dumb. But I felt like I had a good
answer!'

We went back to our school and tried it out a little, and it worked there too.
Plus, I've seen it work with a sixth grade student.  I think one of the keys is
calm wait time that suggests the confidence that a student can think and you
honestly expect a thoughtful answer.  We're thinking the phrase somehow takes
the pressure off a student - you aren't looking for the one right answer, and
its OK to make a thoughtful guess.

Phyllis