I'm not eloquent, and I don't quite know how to say this, but I'm starting to
worry a bit about the emphasis I'm placing on thinking.  I am devoted to
comprehension strategies and writer's workshop.  My goal is for my students to
become joyful independent learners, thinkers who delve.  I raise the bar every
year and am thrilled with the ability of my third graders.  BUT, now that
several of you have brought up spelling (my LEAST favorite subject--I love what
Beverlee wrote), I realize that my kids never, and I mean NEVER, memorize.
Even my most brilliant kids seem stymied when converting gallons to pints
(without a chart or visual).  Spelling mistakes are frequent.  I am beginning
to wonder if I am doing them a disservice.  Am I crippling them as learners by
focusing on process?  Is it enough to give them strategies to solve problems if
they need to be reminded how many days are in each month?  I swear I will never
I hope my concern is clear,
Judy
(judy3ca)