And it seems to me -- inescapably -- we're going to have to find a way to
reflect and respond -- in writing!!  It's so hard to keep journaling even on
the table during those first weeks of school, much less front and center.  But
Ellin hasn't developed her thinking by "keeping her nose to the grindstone" and
"efficiency" and "working harder" and all these things that are overwhelmingly
tempting when we have too much to do.  It's almost as if the more we have to
do, the more essential it becomes for us as professionals to slow down, step
back, give OURSELVES think time, and try TO UNDERSTAND.  No matter how much we
increase our "skill" of teaching for understanding, the truth is, we can come
to it ourselves only by understanding--that which comes from looking inward.

I am SO READY to be rid of "time on task" - for kids and for those who live
among them!!   The hamster spends a lot of time running, but he doesn't really
have anywhere to go anyway.