So, Dana if you are looking at the structure of the text are you really looking
at the main idea?  I am a voracious reader and writer and I have always
struggled with the concept of main idea on a test.  I can justify my answers
orally until the cows come home, but on a test...problems.  I remember reading
Shakespeare in high school and my teacher telling me that I was not
understanding it the way that Shakespeare meant it to be.  My question was how
did she know how he meant it to be understood?  Obviuosly there is usually a
surface main idea, but upon further readings comprehension grows, which often
clouds the "exact" main idea.  I find it easier to identify in non-fiction
informational text, but then it depends on the way the author writes.  So, when
we don't neccessarily agree with the author's main idea (or what the test
claims that to be) what are we to do?  Will teaching text structure help people
like me?  There seems to be many ways that an author can write the main idea.
I am not sure how to best teach my kiddos.  I still maintain that they have to
be flexible in their thinking.

Nancy

>>> Dana Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 07/30/08 12:39 PM >>>
I do think we need to teach main idea as a text structure.  I know from my own
reading of my grad school text books that there is often a main idea of the
text.  Perhaps it takes the forms of a central idea with examples to follow or
maybe a series of ideas where the reader has to infer a bigger idea from it.
But I do recognize main idea as a form of text structure often in my own
reading.
It sounds to me that this is different from the strategy of determining
importance.  At one of Stephanie Harvey's workshops, she spoke of an activity
were the kids read a short nonfiction article and afterwards wrote what THEY
thought was most important to remember and then what did they think the AUTHOR
wanted them to remember.  I think this addresses Ellin's point that we, as
readers, might not always agree with the author's "main idea" because of what
we bring to the text.
In my mind, these are 2 separate issues.  One is looking at the structure of
the text and the other is looking at the meaning of the text.
Dana