From: Nancy Hagerty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: understand@literacyworkshop.org
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:20:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Understand] Main Idea

So, Dana if you are looking at the structure of the text are you really looking
at the main idea?  I am a voracious reader and writer and I have always
struggled with the concept of main idea on a test.  I can justify my answers
orally until the cows come home, but on a test...problems.  I remember reading
Shakespeare in high school and my teacher telling me that I was not
understanding it the way that Shakespeare meant it to be.  My question was how
did she know how he meant it to be understood?  Obviuosly there is usually a
surface main idea, but upon further readings comprehension grows, which often
clouds the "exact" main idea.  I find it easier to identify in non-fiction
informational text, but then it depends on the way the author writes.  So, when
we don't neccessarily agree with the author's main idea (or what the test
claims that to be) what are we to do?  Will teaching text structure help people
like me?  There seems to be many ways
 that an author can write the main idea.  I am not sure how to best teach my
kiddos.  I still maintain that they have to be flexible in their thinking.

Nancy