Jennifer's Prompt # 3:  To borrow Ellin's subtitle on page 17:
In what ways can we live our adult lives as intellectually curious
leaders for our students and for our colleagues?

I can't tell you how many nights I stayed up thinking - why didn't my
teachers get it?  Why don't they want to help their students - to move
them beyond the expected curriculum and into differentiation and
individualization and understanding?  Why they didn't have an internal
drive and motivation to replicate what Ellin and Debbie and everyone
was writing about and modeling in their books?  I modeled the ideas
and goals at faculty meetings and in our weekly newsletters by both
taking pictures of the activities and usage of the strategies in
classes and including snapshots and ideas from the books themselves.

But I could not motivate the teachers who were in the "been there done
that" mode.  They made fun of the teachers who were taking leaps.
They got extremely cliquey.  It was just so depressing!  What kept me
going was the fact that I knew what I was writing/talking/modeling was
right for both the teacher and the students.

So....to answer the question - by modeling, blogging, dicsussing,
showing how to never stop learning...our actions speak louder than
words.  The sad thing is that there are so many of us who are isolated
islands of application.  The good thing is that there are places like
this where the isolated islands can find refuge, mentorship, and
relief.

But how to be there for our colleagues?  I think they have to be ready
first. I obviously never figured out the answer to that one! -Lori

Lori has captured my sentiments perfectly. I wish we worked in the
same building! – MJ

You say you haven't figured out what to do with colleagues? To me it
sounds like you are doing all the right things! :-) This is a tough
issue....and one that I continue to struggle with. Part of my role is
to work with teachers as well as students. I am so passionate about
teaching comprehension and the nature of understanding and it is so
hard sometimes to relate to the teachers that won't change...but I
know that we have to be persistent in order to achieve our vision for
kids! I keep reminding myself that most teachers really do, down in
their deepest heart of hearts, want to do the right thing for kids.
Sometimes though, there is a disconnect between what they think is the
right thing... and what you think is the right thing. What has to
happen is that you have to find the commonalities in what you all want
for kids and then decide together how to get there. Easier said than
done, I know....but when we have made deliberate attempts to do that,
we have found that the changes are a bit easier to achieve. :-)

I can share  how my thinking has evolved over the past few years and
what I am trying to learn to do to help bring teachers on board. I
have been spending a lot of time recently studying teacher leadership
and professional learning communities. My goal is to move more of my
colleagues forward. (It is part and parcel of my interest in lesson
study and this listserv...that idea of teachers learning from each
other is a powerful interest to me.) Each of these tactics/strategies
have helped us move our staff forward in degrees and it is a long
process. We are much further along the continuum  at my school than we
were when I started in this role 10 years ago, but we still have some
distance to travel.

1. Real change has to come from the teachers...not from us. This is
where the power of PLCs (Professional Learning Communities) come in.
What I learned is that my vision isn't neccessarily their vision. What
we have had to do is craft together what our common beliefs were. Then
we as leaders have to be the steward of that vision and hold people's
feet to the fire. We said "X" is what we want for kids. Is "Y" getting
us "X"? If not, what do we need to learn/do to get us "X"?  It has
really helped me to read up on professional learning communities (Try
the books by Eaker and DuFour). Even trying small pieces of their
recommendations have really helped.

2. It takes more than one leader to create real change. I am lucky
because I have some visionary administrators, deep support from both
administration and some colleagues...but it wasn't always like that as
far as the colleagues go. The colleagues' support grew
gradually...over time...because as new staff came on, we deliberately
worked to support them in their learning. It sounds like you have some
folks buying in.  I think that you can work with the folks that are in
to it. Celebrate your success...even the small ones...and support them
so that they can continue to act as leaders for the others. Continue
to take pictures, and keep data (hard and soft) about how well your
kids are learning. Bring the interested colleagues on to the listserv
for more support. Even one leader though can start the ball
rolling...it is just your job to create MORE leaders for the real
change to happen.

3. One thing that has helped at my school has been coteaching. (Which
by the way, people hated when it started seven years ago and now is a
way of life!) I teach side by side with several teachers for an hour a
day for a whole year...and sometimes two or three years. When you plan
and teach side by side every day, a close relationship develops,
teacher learning (both my colleagues learning and mine) is supported
and changes "stick."

3. Some people are always "late adopters." and some never do adopt new
practices. A few will never be "ready." Sometimes you just have to get
the wrong people off the bus.

4. If you read up on the change process...there are ALWAYS rough
periods. It makes it easier to take when you know that this always
happens when you try to change things.
- Jennifer Palmer

I hate reverting to politicism when I know people tire of it and would
rather be forward-looking and visionary and proactive and all the
things that I'd certainly rather be.  But...let's look at the case of
what you are both talking about.  It's what our teachers face every
single day as teachers.  It's what we face every day as the teacher of
teachers (okay, some poetic license there) and that's TEST ANXIETY.
And it has nothing to do with us taking tests.  It has everything to
do with the testing/standards/accountability/NCLB, etcetera mania that
is choking the lives out of us.

I have a feeling none of us (represented in this post) would be
impatient and stressed about change and where different teachers are
in the process if we weren't half crazed over test scores.  We're not
hyperactive-guinea-pig-acting naturally.  We would remember that
things take time and that Rome wasn't built in a day and things bloom
in their own time and we're just here to support you and just take
baby steps and....  But, in the schools I know, things are at such a
frantic, frenetic pace to make everyone above average!!

I teach in a school where 70% of our children receive free and reduced
lunch and there are many other factors that might discourage us.  I
don't mind at all what child walks in our doors, as long as he can get
himself in or we can help her get in.  They're all welcome.  But then
we're told that they have to ___________ and to _________ and to
__________ and they have to do it tomorrow or "the state will take
over the school."

Do you think that makes me patient and accepting of our less-developed
teachers when I know there's a better mousetrap out there that would
help them catch more mice--more humanely--and they just don't want to
know about it yet?  Even though I know that "change is thrilling and
exhilerating if you're doing it yourself, but terrifying if it's being
done to you"?  Even if I know it's better to go slower, think deeper,
and take it one step at a time?

And then let's pass that on down.  Do you think those very teachers
are ready to experiment with doing something new or take a risk or
change a leaf when all they hear is AYP threats?  And then how
accepting are they of their little ones which are doing the best they
can, but that's not better than 70% of the kids across America so
their progress is marginalized?

Now...Jennifer's response is the thoughtful response that belongs here
and that Lori needs and wants.  And I can justify all this rant only
by saying it's not fun walking in any of our Birkenstocks these days,
whether they're tiny pink ones or well-worn brown.  But here's why I'm
writing it:

We are in the position where if it's to be, it's up to...us.  And
while we need to do all the things Jennifer recommended, maybe what we
need at the core is to understand that NOONE LEARNS IN FEAR--including
soccer teachers in mini-vans.  There's only so long that warm fuzzies
are appropriate, but I think it helps my impatience when I can put
myself in others' shoes, which I certainly can in this Blame Game we
live in in education today.

Our teachers are sometimes just scared to take chances.

Okay, that's enough for me today.  Sometimes we do have to just hold
hands and sing Kumbaya. –Bev

You are absolutely right, of course. No one said any of this is easy.
What has happened up to this point, is that so often we teachers just
shut our doors and do what is right for our kids but we never try to
go beyond that point.

We ARE all scared...and angry. It is time to be brave...and that
courage will look different depending on our own personalities. Some
of us could mentor a new teacher. Others could create study groups on
Ellin's new book... still others may aspire to take on an
administrative role...Once we reach a critical mass...teachers leading
and taking responsibility for their own profession, then can you
imagine what we could do? We just can't shut our doors and take care
of just our own students anymore. There is too much at risk.

Ellin wants us to teach for depth and for understanding. Kids who grow
up with this kind of teaching will not only be productive, but
thoughtful. Isn't this what democracy...what our country requires of
us? Isn't this worth fighting for...working through and past our own
fear and uncertainty to try to make a real difference? Could we fail?
Sure. But, you only miss 100% of the shots you never take.

 I know this is more than we bargained for as teachers. We already
fight to see that our students in our classroom get the learning they
need and of course we love them. We put in hours and hours on lesson
plans and paper work. We spend our own money on classroom materials
and that should be enough. But it isn't anymore.

 That is why first and formost, I believe that real change and real
leadership needs to come from US. Leadership has to not only be at the
school level or the district level as I talked about in our earlier
post. Some of us, perhaps all of us, need to learn to talk to policy
makers..and advocate on behalf of our children. I have had the chance
to do some of this since I live near Washington DC...and believe me it
is hard. I didn't really know what I was doing and I am pretty sure
that 90 percent of the time I was just "yessed" along. BUT a few
times, a few precious times, I did feel I was listened to. And you
know what? It is our cumulative voice that matters. There have been
many voices crying out against the unfair portions of NCLB...and I
think that voice is being heard. How do I know this???

My principal is on the executive board for the National Association of
Elementary Principals. She has had many opportunities over the past
few years to meet with officials in Washington and she has more
experience doing so than I have. She is sure that change is in the
air.  Suddenly she is being asked for her opinion on changes to NCLB.
She doesn't have to knock on doors...they are coming to her. After the
election is over...watch and see. I bet we will see change. We, as
educators, need to be at that table...insisting on input on how that
change will look. We must be persistant...step out of our comfort zone
and speak up.There are ways to email our congressmen. We must do so.
Our kids depend on us.

In the meantime, I am convinced that little things like professional
learning communities and coteaching can make a difference. If you help
even one colleague develop better teaching practices, you have doubled
the amount of students whose lives you have improved.

Oh, Bev... I am an optimist. I can't help it. If I didn't believe that
things could change and that we can play a part in making that happen,
I couldn't go to work each day. -Jennifer

I agree.  Change is coming.  In NC a person from DPI told a group of
Pre-K and K teachers that change for a more developmentally
appropriate K is on the way as well as better ideas for/ in leiu of
testing.  Our principal heard the same ideas about testing at a
principal's meeting in Chapel Hill just this week.  He stated that a
Blue Ribbon committee? is coming around to hear from teachers about
the good, bad and ugly of testing.  He has challenged us to teach and
not worry about the test.  He wants to take our
school in the direction of what works for our kids and being
innovative.  NC also throughout the writing test this year and we are
doing portfolios.  Thought I would share some of the good news that it
out there. - Kendra