Judy,
In reading your post I agree with you that  your new teachers probably need
to build a foundation of teaching reading before delving into the "really
tough stuff". I think of my time training as a Reading Recovery teacher,
when giving feedback after a running record  I wanted to "fix" everything at
once and my teacher leader stressing that it was important to pick 1 or 2
teaching points that would move the reader forward.  I think that's true
with new teachers they need to concentrate on 1 or 2 areas in literacy to
get before moving on.  But I would still model to my RR students other
reading behaviors that they would eventually use.  I see our role as
experienced teachers as being modelers and sharers of successful lessons
thattaught more  deeply the comprehension strategies.

We have 2 brand new teachers (of 4) at my grade level.  I've put in a lot of