Wow, Judy!
When you say green, you mean GREEN. I didn't mean to insinuate that you are
leaving these new teachers to their own devices...I know better! :-)

I just thought you might kill two birds with one stone. If you study
comprehension strategies WITH the newbies, they get the background knowledge
and  you
get the professional development that comes from the discussion as well. You
know how you learn more about something by talking about it with  peers?
Well...maybe they are not ready for all that yet. Maybe what is  best is to
find
out what the newbies think they need and start there.

I still think that the tenants of Ellin's new book, To Understand, could  and
should be shared with them when they start to learn about teaching
comprehension. Suppose, when they are ready, they learn to teach
visualizing...couldn't they learn to teach some of the dimensions of
understanding at the same
time? Couldn't it be integrated into the lesson? I  really don't know these new
teachers, and I can't say I have tried to teach  these dimensions of
understanding to many of my own staff yet...so maybe I am  really off base. It
just
seems to me that what Ellin is arguing for is NOT an  add on...it should be an
integral part of strategy instruction to begin with,  shouldn't it? I think
that
the What's Essential model would be the best place to  start with new teachers
since isn't that the biggest problem new teachers  have??? They never know
what to teach first....

Please understand, Judy, I didn't mean to offend you! When I post a
response, I can only respond to the information you include in each post. From
hundreds of miles away, all we know is what you have originally written. Thanks
 for
clarifying...and good luck!
Jennifer

In a message dated 9/28/2008 2:25:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,