Elisa
I have had similar experiences...and it hurts. I am trying very hard to be
myself...I don't hide that I want to learn and improve but I try not to throw
it  in people's faces either... It is hard.

It is the same thing that makes it hard for anyone who believes in the
concept of teacher leadership.To be a teacher leader you set yourself apart and

that makes you suspect. I have just read a book that has been around a  while.
It is called the Teaching Gap. (Stigler and Hiebert, I believe.) One of  the
things that they talk about is the TIMMS study where they compared teaching
methods in math and science in Japan, Germany and the US. One of the most
telling statements in this book is that teaching is a cultural activity. What
teachers are supposed to do and what students are supposed to do in school is a

cultural expectation in each country. The difference between the US and Japan
for example, is that we have no system in place to change things in a slow and
systematic way. Individuals, bright shining stars may be inspirational, but
when  they retire, they take their expertise with them...and while they are in
the  classroom they  often are shamed into keeping quiet by peers. Stigler
and Hiebert say that nothing is wrong with US teachers, it is that most
teachers have limited teaching methods that are culturally based and no
systematic
way to change the teaching culture.

 Japan has the lesson study process which teachers use to slowly and
steadily change teaching. National curriculum is developed FROM the  LESSONS
that
TEACHERS develop through lesson study rather than the other  way around.
Teachers learn better ways of teaching by watching each other teach  and share
it
with others.

SO...I guess what I am saying, the long way around, is that maybe the
expectations for teaching and teachers are in our culture and bucking the
system  is
hard!
Jennifer

In a message dated 2/8/2009 11:02:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,