At 11:31 AM 06/22/2000 -0800, Michael Kaplan (Trigeminal Inc.) wrote:
>I do not believe that this will require it to be added to a standard, and
>this is a non-standard usage, but life is about dealing with things as they
>are (and this is how they are!).

I assume that you also feel that the charset parm on a MIME Email Header
(or HTML/XML header) is not needed and thus should be discouraged. The use
of the BOM character at the start of a TEXT file serves the same purpose as
the charset tag - It says "I am in UTF-8 format" (so you do not try to
treat it as ISO-8859-x, CP1252, or some other encoding format).