Michael (michka) Kaplan wrote:

> > As far as keyboards/IME, if anyone has a notion of what a Deseret
> > or Gothic keyboard should look like (and a need for one), please
> > let me know.
>
> Um, the need for one is a way to actually input data? How else would a
> typical user be able to type such data? If one takes the argument that input
> methods are not needed, then one can claim that Hindi is supported on
> Windows 95, since Word 2000 will display it if you install the fonts.
> Simple! <g>

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, this is a sincere offer to try
to come up with a keyboard layout/driver for those scripts.  It
would probably be all right to assign Gothic characters to their
Latin equivalents for a Gothic keyboard, but I wonder about
Deseret.  Is there an existing preference for the Deseret keyboard
appearance?

On W2K, the user can input supplementary characters directly
from the keyboard using ALT + surrogate(1st part) ALT +
surrogate(2nd part), but this works out to twelve key strokes
for one letter!  (Input the surrogate values as decimal numbers
from the numeric keypad.)

Perhaps the user communities involved already have their own
input methods and would prefer to simply input data as they
have always done and then convert it to Unicode format.  But,
if there is a need for a keyboard method, it should be possible
to create one.

Best regards,

James Kass.