Michael (michka) Kaplan wrote:

Andrew C.>
> > and if only they did allow latin script support in uniscribe .... but i
> > guess support for african langaguageds is extremely low on their list of
> > priorities.

Michka>
> I would not ever presume such a thing... what issues in latin scripts are
> you referring to? I am not sure Uniscribe is where such a fix would be (all
> the issues I know of would involve keyboards and potentially fonts).

Many African adaptations of the Latin script require
characters which aren't precomposed in Unicode.

One example of a common problem is with combining
diacritics designed for lower case letters.  When the
diacritic is used with a capital letter, it appears at the
default height and is superimposed on the capital letter
rather than appearing above it.

The new OpenType font specifications enable such
combinations to be displayed correctly.

Uniscribe is the mechanism that accesses OpenType
features on Microsoft OS.  The version of Uniscribe
currently available doesn't yet have support for Latin
OpenType features enabled.  I seem to recall having
read recently that Latin features would soon be
enabled in Uniscribe, perhaps as early as this summer.

Best regards,

James Kass.