On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 02:02:17PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Depends on who you're talking to and what you mean by adequate
> > computing. If you're talking to some Unix grognard about Perl
> > hacking,
>
> Oy!  I resemble that remark.
>
> Of course I am rather biased but I still think your comment is somewhat
> off the mark and unfair.  Perl is and now been for years rather committed
> to providing a good Unicode support.  We are far from perfect but definitely
> getting there.  After all, it's just text -- and Perl rather fancies itself
> to be rather good at that.

Perhaps I should have gone with C, but the point was your
English-processing English-commented Perl programs are in ASCII. You
sent out an ASCII email. If you were (?) English, all your files would
probably be named in ASCII and all your daily work in handling those
files would be in ASCII. Computing people have fit themselves to the
ASCII space - in Unix/ksh/Bash/C/Perl(?) the special symbols pretty
much fill the non-alphanumeric space of ASCII. It's adequate for what
I do as a programmer and hacker. It's not adequate for what I do as
transcriber of books and a mathematics major.

--
David Starner - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and