At 07:27 6/8/2001 +0400, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:

>My Pashto informants call it "dI paxto alifbe", saying it has 10 extra
>letters.
>Letter "dze" is represented in Unicode by U+0681 "Arabic letter heh with
>hamza above",
>though the sign above heh is not exactly hamza. It is a zigzag-like sign
>of the same height as hamza, but they are well distinguished. My
>informants could not recall any special name for it.
>If you use "heh with hamza above", people usually accept it as a
>substitute, saying that "computer is not able to build a real Pashto
>letter" (?!).
>I could not find such a letter in Unicode. I would be glad to hear some
>comments on  it.

Does Pashto also make use of the regular hamza sign in other contexts? If
not, there may not be a need to distinguish this sign at a character level,
as it can be treated as a Pashto glyph preference.

Also, can you, or anyone, provide a visual example of this form? Thanks.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks     |
Vancouver, BC      |
www.tiro.com       |