At 11:43 -0400 2001-10-02, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>>>  You might want to take a look at the ConScript Unicode Registry, which was
>>>  originally intended for "constructed" and artificial scripts, but which
>>>  could also be used for this purpose.
>>
>>   No, it couldn't. It's for constructed and artificial scripts, not for
>>   precomposed Latin glyphs.
>
>I stand corrected. But there is no reason William couldn't initiate his own
>registry, along the lines of CSUR, for the purpose of assigning PUA code
>points to precomposed Latin glyphs. Just don't expect the characters thus
>added to "graduate" somehow into Unicode.

The CSUR is maintained to support scripts of various kinds. Some of
those (Shavian, Deseret, Tengwar, Cirth) are expected to "graduate"
into Unicode. But those are legitimate scripts with legitimate users,
and they can't be represented in Unicode otherwise.

William, I have a number of papers about using the ZWJ to force
ligation. I am interested in the problem; perhaps those papers may be
of interest to you.
--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com
Telephone +353 86 807 9169 *** Fax +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)