Michael Everson wrote:
> At 12:14 +0100 2001-11-28, Marco Cimarosti wrote:
>
> >And Indian users too shouldn't be forced to process strings
> of *abstract*
> >characters into their heads!
>
> Indian users have been using the ISCII model for decades.

OK. I spent only a few days in India, so I take for granted the word of
those who know the country better. And I thought that ISCII was only about
10 years old. So, probably, I am speculating about a problem which doesn't
exist.

However, what I noticed in those few days was that, although computers were
everywhere (I was in Bangalore, the Indian IT capital), no one was ever
displaying local scripts. Computer shops had every kind of software and
manuals on sales, in English, but very few packages in or for Indian
languages.

> Ever see a Hindi mechanical typewriter layout?

I confess I didn't. What does it look like?

_ Marco