Doug Ewell wrote:
> > Unicode doesn't have some way to indicate vertical writing.
> I think the
> > only consideration for it is vertical presentation forms of some
> > characters. Anything more is left for other software layers to deal
> > with.
>
> Seeing that Unicode already has left-to-right and
> right-to-left override
> characters, I wonder if a top-to-bottom override character
> might also be reasonable.

I see a big difference between the two cases.

Right-to-left vs. left-to-right are attributes of arbitrary *spans* of text,
which can easily be mixed within the same paragraph.

On the other hand, horizontal vs. vertical are attributes that can be only
be applied to a whole paragraph or section.

So, an hypothetical pair (start/end) of top-to-bottom override character
should probably also act as paragraph separators.

I wish a decent 2002 to everybody (as wishing more than "decent" would be
quite irrealistic).

_ Marco