At 17:47 -0500 2002-01-11, Daniel Yacob wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I'm hoping Apple developers might be able to clear up what is happening with
>the "smEthiopic" script identifier in the reference:
>
>http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/quicktime/qtdevdocs/APIREF/SOURCESIV/localizationcodes.htm
>
>The granularity of script names is not quite in step with what we see at
>the Unicode "Code Charts" page,  which might be why we then find:
>

>langInuktitut            = 143   // Inuit using smEthiopic script
>

>Taken literally "Inuit using smEthiopic script" is not a high probability
>scenario.  Not that I wouldn't recommend Ethiopic to the Inuit ;)

It means that when I was making a set of Inuktitut WorldScript
utilities for the Baffin Bay Divisional Board of Education, we used
the smEthiopic range of script ID numbers since there weren't any
additional ones for Canadian Syllabics per se. See
http://www.evertype.com/software/apple for WorldScript support for
lesser used scripts in Mac OS 7.5 to Mac OS 8.1.

>Is this mearly a bug in the comments or does "smEthiopic" span from the
>Ethiopic range thru the Unified Canadian Aboriginal Syllabic region?  The
>absence of "smCherokee" and "smCanadian" leads me towards the later.

It has nothing to do with Unicode; just Apple WorldScript IDs.
--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com