----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Pentzlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: den 30 januari 2002 09:42
Subject: Re: Introducing the idea of a "ROMAN VARIANT SELECTOR" (was: Re:
Proposing Fraktur)

> PR>  I think most of these cases, including
> PR> the Fraktur problem, deal with _typesetting_ rules and should thus be
> PR> left to _typesetting_ software, i.e. the now-famous "higher level
> PR> protocol".
>
> The question is, are typesetting rules "part of the script"?
>
> (I mean rules in the sense of obligatory regulations, not guidelines).
> If yes, (in my opinion) the plain text must carry the information that is
> needed to follow them. If no, their execution can be left to higher level
> protocols (which then have to decide whether a word is a foreign word
> [to be set in Roman letters] or a name [to be set in Fraktur letters],
> such at least according to German typesetting rules).

In this case:

* The program would have to know which language it's dealing with, and which
spelling rules are used in the text (in Swedish: free spelling (as
preferred), pre-1905, and post-1905).
*It would have to know every loan word and personal name.

Here's a difficult case:

* "Et:" Latin word. Used in Swedish in cases such as "et cetera." Written in
antiqua
* "Et:" old spelling for "ett" (a, one). Written in Fraktur.

How would the program know which of them I'm referring to?

Stefan