On 2002.02.02, at 00:32, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
>>    So far as I see Linux iconv is ascii-preservative while ICS's is
>> Unicode-strict.
>>    From Perl's point of view ASCII preservative should be default.
>
> Why?

   I have already answered in the previous mail (Subject:More on Unicode
Mappings, Message-Id: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
) but this one is important so let me repeat.

>  With a good reason.  The original mapping of Unicode renders any
> (EUC|JIS|SHIFTJIS)-written perl scripts (or C codes) unusable.  In
> Japan '\' has been mapped to Yen mark (Because it happened to be at
> localizable area in ASCII.  I believe localizable area in ASCII is
> causing a lot of headache for such folks as Danish which exploits this
> feature to fullest extent).  So source codes in Japan comes with lots
> of yen marks instead of backslash.

   My very first implementation of Jcode did use Unicode table as is and
this problem was address in less than hour of release so I fixed it.

Dan