At 17:42 -0500 2002-02-07, John Cowan wrote:

>>The only widely-deployed alternative approach I know of is
>>ETSI GSM 03.38 (used in mobile telephony),
>
>A truly bizarre character set:  it supports English, French,
>mainland Scandinavian languages, Italian, Spanish with Graves, and
>GREEK SHOUTING.

On my Nokia I am forced to write SMS messages in Irish with graves
for ÀàÌìÒòÙù but I am awarded Éé. The Nokia does have ÁáÍíÓóÚú
available for spelling names in the phone book, but the accents are
stripped off if they are sent in a text message. :-(
--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com