Markus Scherer wrote:

> Falkor wrote:
>
>> Like 'em or hate 'em, those " :) " are here to stay.  ...and there's at
>

> Probably, although the more people from outside the computer-tech
> world join in, the smaller percentage of people will use these, like
> my mother-in-law...
>
> They are already encoded in Unicode, using two or more Unicode
> characters... using a colon and a closing parenthesis (I personally
> prefer the version with a "dash" nose) is all you need.

Methinks «We know what you need» is a bit patronizing.

> There are a couple of "real" smileys too, but some modern emailers
> actually recognize the regular form

the « regular »... the contrived way you mean.

> and display an image.

for what of a character.

> PS: ... and at the end of the day, Unicode is a _text_ encoding
> standard ... :-)

Yea, yea and this punctuation   ;-)  isn't text right ?  Why ? Because
there is no character ;-)  ! Why ? Because people already have what they
want ! And we know what they want.

Patrick