On Saturday, March 16, 2002, at 03:45 , <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> : >   I confess I enjoyed this thread of whether Tengwar should be
> include
> : > in Unicode.   It's fun.  It's cute.  But isn't this too much for
> those
> : > who accepted the compromise for UNIcode?  Tengwar should wait till
> more
> : > critical issues are resolved.  Many (including me ) would be pissed
> if
> : > Tengwar be added BEFORE Ciao-Ciao's poetries and Man-Yo-Shu become
> : > encodable in Unicode.
> :
> : Why should a great Western author have to wait on a great Eastern
> author?
>
> My reaction exactly: why author A's special characters (*) would be
> more special than author B's special characters?  Surely without
> dragging this even to the usual "East versus West" debate, that sounds
> wrong.
>
> (*) Characters created by the author as a part of the creative process.

   Thanks for polishing my points but the example I've picked includes no
special characters -- at least back when they are published.  It is more
like "why author A's special characters would be more special than
classical characters".
   Well, I can even give up on classical writings (after all my knowledge
on classical writings, East or West, is too limited to discuss in
depth).  But it strikes me to face the fact that some of you can't even
spell your name in Unicode.
   For instance, there are at least 31 (official) way to spell 'Wata' of
Watanabe, a very popular Japanse family name.  Only a couple of which is
in JIS0208-1990, one of many charsets Unicode based upon.  Well, in this
particular case the blame should go to the Japanese government for being
so inconsistent on industrial standards (which decides which Kanji be
mapped to what codeset) and  judicial standards (which determines
whether a given Kanji be allowed in legal document).  But here is the
situation.  There are so many Watanabe-sans, Saito-san, and others whose
name cannot be spelled in Unicode.
   IMHO, Unicode Consotium should make these people happy before Tolkien
fans and Trekkies.

Dan the Man whose Name was Compromised by the Japanese government (*)

(*) My parents wanted me to name me 彈 (U+5F48), a classical form, but
it was not listed on "the table of Kanjis allowed for names" so I was
named 弾 (U+5F3E).