John H. Jenkins wrote:

> On Friday, March 15, 2002, at 11:38 AM, Dan Kogai wrote:
>
> > There are so many Watanabe-sans, Saito-san, and others whose name cannot
> > be spelled in Unicode.
> >

> Can you document this?  You know, there's a prize offered for the first
> person to document the existence of someone whose Japanese name cannot be
> represented by Unicode 3.2.

While I lived in Japan, I always wrote my last name with 龍 stuck inside of
門 (in the space in the lower middle). I wrote it that way while I was at a
university there for my tests and homework as well. I remember at the
beginning of one year after a teacher took attendance (passed around a piece
of paper where students wrote down there names, student number etc). I wrote
it like always the way above and when he went through the papers collected,
he stopped and wrote my name large on the board and marveled how to read my
name because he had never seen it before. Nor should he had because as far
as I know, it is unique. Even my 判子 (personal seal) is like this. But it
is how I consistently write my name in Japanese. I have to type it as 門龍
when using a computer though. As it is a personal spelling, I never expected
Unicode to map a code point to this character to me. But it is similar to
the Watanabe situation.

Should I really have any reason to expect Unicode to deal with this?
Is there a method to synthesize this without resorting to a picture?
And do I win the prize? :D
(I can document a year's worth of school work, notes, tests, and a personal
seal using this spelling.)

門龍弁
Ben Monroe