--

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:56:25
 Kenneth Whistler wrote:

>[David Starner]

>[Tom Finch]
>
>> I looked at the code chart and there are many 16 character sequences empty.
>
>That is true enough -- but the more appropriate place to look is the
>BMP roadmap:
>
>http://www.unicode.org/roadmaps/bmp-3-6.html
>
>where you can see that many of those empty columns are already accounted
>for by roadmapped allocations for living minority scripts. The BMP is
>rather tight now for allocation, and it is unlikely that the committees are
>going to look kindly on miscellaneous collections of dubious stuff for
>encoding there.
>
>Of course there is plenty of space in Plane 1 for just about everything,
>but...
>
>That said, David Starner has this one right. There really is no good reason
>to create clones of 0..9, A..F to represent hexadecimal digits. The
>existing characters do that just fine, and represent an overwhelming
>legacy data representation precedent that any proposal such as Tom Finch's
>would have to cope with. Introducing new characters for these would just
>introduce confusion and would be unlikely to be implemented in any
>useful way.
>
>--Ken

Hmm, so representing Devanagari digits is more important than hexadecimal, which is
used almost more than decimal on the web?  I know inertia is a law of the universe,
but this is rediculous.  Hexadecimal is very important and deserves to be in Plane 0.
I see a good spot in misc technical (23D--oh look hexadecimal again).

Communicate with others using Lycos Mail for FREE!
http://mail.lycos.com/