On 09/06/2002 10:39:36 PM "Doug Ewell" wrote:

(I'm confused: didn't this thread start on the OT list? How did it get
here?)

>> ??Yo soy Juan de Aguirre, el marino, el hermano de su madre de  usted,

Can one really say, "su madre de usted"? Can you do that with any noun and
any semantic relation expressed by the possessive construction? (su casa
de usted, su pays de usted, etc.)

It's completely different, but I'm reminded of the yes-no question
construction used in at least some parts of Québec whereby (e.g.) Jacques
can knock on the door and say to Yves who answered, "Michelle est-tu là?"

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>