Hi, Roslyn,

The tools you choose might to some extent depend on your development
environment. Using PHP on GNU/Linux or another *NIX environment, the
following tools will certainly get you started in the right direction.
Plan on using UTF-8 encoding for everything: so you need to calculate
database column widths that will be wide enough to support the UTF-8
strings:

 -- Yudit (www.yudit.org).
    This is a fantastic Unicode editor.  It has keyboard maps for just
    about every language imaginable, has correct shaping for Arabic and
    a number of Indic scripts, and even some handwriting recognition for
    Kanji/Hanzi.  Command-line tools are also provided for converting
    files in different encodings.  Of course UTF-8 is supported.

 -- Latest version of Mozilla (www.mozilla.org).  Mozilla provides very
    good support for rendering a lot of scripts and is very
    standards-compliant, maybe the most standards-compliant
    browser available.

 -- Edith (www.zfc.nl) is a possibly little-known editor for X11.  It is
    *not* unicode aware at all, but it has lots of other indispensible features
    for coding and development, such as regex-based searching and
    replacement, column-wise cut-and-paste, etc.

What I do is type all non-ASCII strings in Yudit and save the file, write
the ASCII PHP code in Edith (substitute your favorite editor here), open
up the UTF-8 Yudit file in another Edith window, and copy and paste in the
UTF-8 strings (which look awful in a non-unicode-aware editor, but a
good editor doesn't mess with them).