One more thing:

If you compile PHP with GD and FreeType2 support, you can generate .png
graphics with nicely antialiased text in many scripts on the fly.  Just
feed UTF-8 strings directly to the ImageFTText() function.  Take a look at
my test script at php.net under the ImageFTText() documentation
(http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.imagefttext.php) to see what you
can (and can't) do.

Of course this technique is useful for displaying non-latin scripts
without having to worry about whether your users are using a supported
browser and have the necessary fonts.