Roslyn,

I will head off trouble because for you because your message is likely to be otherwise
ignored or semi-flamed.

The best place to get information on compiling and configuring php is on a php support
or developer list. There must be information on how to subscribe to such lists on the
php home page, which I am guessing is php.org.

Another great source to find answers that I use at least 10 times a day with a 90%+
success rate is to search on related keywords on google.com and groups.google.com.
OTTOMH, in your case I would try searching "php enable-mbstring" inthose places and
see what you find.

This list is for questions related to Unicode. That is probably no one has replied
previously. Few if any people here are php developers, and even fewer are going to be
versed in the details of configuring and compiling php.

Hope this helps!

Barry Caplan
www.i18n.com