Doug Ewell scripsit:

> 1.  It must be based on Unicode code points.  For True- and OpenType
> fonts, this implies a Unicode cmap; for other font technologies it
> implies some more-or-less equivalent mechanism.  The point is that
> glyphs must be associated with Unicode code points (not necessarily
> 1-to-1, of course), not merely with an internal 8-bit table that can be
> mapped to Unicode only through some other piece of software.

If it's a FIGlet font, of course, it's automatically Unicode, since FIGlet's
table is 32 bits wide.

> In a Unicode font, U+0041 cannot be mapped to a capital A with macron,
> as it is in Bookshelf Symbol 1; nor to a six-pointed star, as in
> Monotype Sorts; nor to a hand holding up two fingers, as in Wingdings.
> (But it can be mapped to a "notdef" glyph, if the font makes no claim to
> supporting U+0041.)

In fact, these fonts map these glyphs to U+F041.  Only when seen as 8-bit
fonts do they map to 0x41.

--
With techies, I've generally found              John Cowan
If your arguments lose the first round          http://www.reutershealth.com