> So even if it were in there, who cares? I mean, can anyone explain why it
> would make a difference?

I personally wouldn't care if every instance of "Michael Kaplan" at the
start of a file were deleted. Not the point.

The actual point is that currently, as defined -- not as you would wish for
it to be, the FEFF is an actual character, and in circumstances where it is
not clearly defined for use as a BOM, it cannot be removed without altering
the content of the text.

As I said in another message, the UTC could change this situation by
completely deprecating the use of FEFF as anything but BOM. But it hasn't
done it yet.

Mark
http://www.macchiato.com
►  “Eppur si muove” ◄